Monday, March 15, 2010

Marina and Performance Art

Today, I sat in line for 3 hours, waiting to share a seat at the table with Marina Abromovic in the middle of Museum of Modern Art as part of her performance: "The Artist is Present". I did manage to be the first in line but by that time, the museum was closing; as the person in front of me insisted on sitting with Marina "for as long as she possibly can" (1.5 hours). I couldn't believe that Marina will sit there, silently staring into space for 8 hours a day for the next 2.5 months!!!! There was something so serene and pleasant about the experience, especially in the midst of a crowded city like New York. Her face was so relaxed (much like the picture of her above) and she was very much present in the moment. This will be her longest performance to date.

I may even go back to the MoMa later in the week for the chance to sit with her. How often do you get to say that you were part of a museum exhibit? Although some people take it to a whole other level i.e. one person sat with her for the entire day, as I was told by the security guard. The point is to be present and sit in an uncomfortable wooden chair without moving or talking, just breathe...I think sitting in line for 3 hours prepared me for at least a 30 minute performance with Marina. She made me very curious about Performance Art, in which the idea behind the work is as important as the work itself, in other words, it's more intellectual than aesthetic.

Joseph Beuys, a charismatic German artist and political activist, was one of the major pioneers in performance art. In 1974, he spent 3 days in a small room in New York with a coyote in a performance he called I like America and America Likes Me. Not too many people saw it but it definitely made an impact through the shocking images such as the one here..isn't it out of this world?


Performance art questions our assumptions about what qualifies as art, the role of the artist, the viewer and even the museum in presenting the artwork. Seeing Marina at MoMa today, definitely changed my perception of art. I can't wait to sit with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment